Monday 21 June 2010

APRIL BIRDING HIGHLIGHTS!!!

At the start of April I got off to a flying start.. Very little birding was done in April due to revision for my exams..

Although mentioned before; my trip to Catalunya in North-east Spain with Alex Jones and Stephen Menzie for 9 days - 31st March - 9th April is something I will remember forever. A total of 192 species were seen, with a grand total of 6 lifers for myself. Alex however gained over 50 new lifers..

I suppose seeing my first Sand martins, Swallows and House martins of the year at Conwy RSPB on the evening of 19th April, was something every birder looks forward to each year. The sky was full of them and always a welcome sight in the spring. Large numbers of White wagtails were also seen during the month.

A trip to the Great orme and Conwy RSPB on 23rd April proved productive with Tree pipit, Yellow wagtail, Swift, Reed warbler, Sedge warbler, Whitethroat and Lesser whitethroat all being first for the year! Grasshopper warbler too.

The final bit of birding that I managed to fit in during April, was our monthly sunday field trip with our Southport RSPB group in which myself and my dad lead.. This time it was upto Dunsop bridge and Abbeystead in the Trough of Bowland where delightful birds such as Pied flycatcher and Dotterel were seen.

That about sums it all up really.. As you can guess from this, on arrival back in england after coming back from Spain, I didn't go birding for at least a week or more as I was all birded out - literally..

No comments:

Post a Comment