Tuesday 22 June 2010

Maltraeth CES site

It's that time in the day when the sun is at its strongest and so after having a sunbathe in the back garden for an hour or so, it was time to go indoors and do some much needed blogging..

During my first year at Bangor I have been involved in Steve and Rachel's CES Ringing site. CES stands for {Constant effort site} and this runs throughout the summer up until the end of August. There are several birds monitored during this ringing project and so far we have had a great start. Unfortunately I have only been able to make 1; maybe 2 of the 5 visits that have been done so far this year. From what I have seen from my 1st visit, it is a great site with lots of scrub, reedbed and alot of potential. I recently have had an email from Steve with the totals from the CES site and from what I can see we have had a wide variety of species with just under 300 birds being ringed..

Sparrowhawk, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Grasshopper warbler, Sedge warbler, Reed warbler, Lesser whitethroat, Blackcap, Willow warbler, Long-tailed tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Lesser redpoll, Bullfinch and Reed bunting have all be mist-netted and ringed at this site.

I had a nice surprise one morning when I had a text from Steve to say they had caught a Great Reed warbler at the site - unfortunately I didn't make this session so sadly I missed this great bird. I have attached a picture from the bird in Spain so to show you folks what it would have looked like. I have managed to see a Great reed warbler this year in Britain but more on that later..
I am hoping to make the next visit at the end of this week before I go away for the weekend..

No comments:

Post a Comment