Tuesday 15 February 2011

Delightful Darvics

During the last few weeks there has been a clear lack of posting to the blog, which is mainly due to the increased workload at university and not enough free-time.. Since my last post about the intriguing sighting of the Short-eared Owl in Bangor Harbour, my day-to-day life has been somewhat rather busy..

Throughtout the next few days I shall give a full update on my ringing antics..

Taking a look back to my trip to Moore Nature Reserve with Alex Jones, where we were in search of the elusive Lesser-Spotted Woodpeckers, I mentioned that I observed a Herring Gull wearing a Darvic. Reading the Darvic proved rather tricky and with so many gulls roosting on the same lake, the bird just didn't keep still. However, after about 10 minutes of constant obervations and several pictures later, I am pretty sure the Darvic read - 19G0. However, I have recently been informed by Kane that the bird was ringed by the North Thames Gull Group in London, but unfortunately we are unable to identify the individual due to poor pictures. {not so clear in the photos above and below}. I do know that this bird was ringed either at Pitsea or Rainham Landfill site!

In the mean time, this bird wasn't ringed in Britain and so has travelled quite some distance.. This message is aimed at anyone who is a bird ringer abroad - if you read or follow my blog, have you ringed this Herring gull and if so, please contact me through the blog.. cheers!

The other Darvic that I read was at Newton Park Lake at Newton-Le-Willows in Manchester, on 23/1/11. I have to admit, this was a bit of a surprise find! I had been ringing with Kane for the past few days and after being dropped off at the station, I had literally just missed my train home, so a quick look in the park opposite the station was in order, equppied with some left-over butties, this is what greeted me..

This Adult Black-Headed Gull - Red Darvic V374 with white writing, is a bird that was ringed somewhere abroad. If you read my blog have you ringed this bird and if so, please do get in touch..

It makes you wonder what else is lurking in urban parks and other gull flocks?!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, just goes to show how far some birds travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya. We kind of know where these birds are from. The Herring Gull is a North Thames bird & the Black Headed Gull is from Denmark, but we can't seem to get any info on this bird from the ringer (!?)

    ReplyDelete