Wednesday 22 June 2011

Patching Perfection!

During my birding career I have always been interested in patching, looking for local birds instead of galavanting all over the UK looking for rarities. Never did I think I would have the best morning's patching here in North Wales. On Sunday 10th April, Zac, Hamza and I headed upto the Great Orme in Llandudno for a 5am start.. The Great Orme is widely renowned for its rewards for visible migration but this visit had to be the best patching day ever!

The day before had produced a few decent birds such as Lapland Bunting and typical spring migrants like Tree Pipit and Redstarts, but if that was anything to go by, our morning was exceptional. As you can see from the main picture of this post, condiditons were perfect..

Regulars such as Alan Davies, Marc Buzzard and Robin Sandham were also on the Great Orme during the morning, so if anything was found all would know about it within a few mintues.

Throughout the morning birds seen included:-

350+ Lesser Redpoll
5 Mealy Redpoll
1 Arctic Redpoll
1 Greenland Redpoll
50+ Wheatear
9 Golden Plover
1 Dotterel
2 Crossbill
6 Blackcap
3 Brambling
2 Ring Ouzel
2 Tree Pipit
2 Yellow wagtail
2 Lapland Bunting
1 Short-Eared Owl

Aswell as numerous Redstarts, Whitethroats, Grasshopper Warblers and a few Garden Warblers.

The best bird of the morning and one that I personally found was the first record of Red-Rumped Swallow for the Great Orme and the County of Conwy! This bird was also seen by Zac Hinchcliffe.

A superb morning's patching on the Great Orme and one that I shall never forget! I wonder what other (1st's) I can find in North Wales before I complete my degree?

No comments:

Post a Comment