Saturday 31 December 2011

My Ringing Year!

There have been rather a large amount of changes in 2011 and one in particular is the day that I recieved my C Permit through the post at the end of October.

Ringing began a week or so later after all the necessary kit had been bought. Looking back at all the ringing I managed to squeeze in from October 21st - December 31st, I am very happy with my ringing totals for the year.

Taking into account these birds have all been caught and ringed with a variety of traps, as I don't have my mist net endorsement yet, ringing couldn't have been much better.

The last week in Bangor I visited a friends garden in Conwy resulting in 2 new species being caught. A Blackbird and 3 Greenfinch were very welcome to the traps as was a Goldfinch a week or so before.

Amongst the 12 species I have ringed with my permit, in exactly 72 days, Blue Tit has been the commonest with 87 birds now caught and only 3 re-traps.

Blue Tit - 84 (3)
Great Tit - 11 (1)
Robin - 8
Coal Tit - 8 (1)
Dunnock - 3
Long-Tailed Tit - 2
Wren - 1
Nuthatch - 1
Black-headed Gull 1
Goldfinch - 1
Greenfinch - 3
Blackbird - 1

2011 was a great start for my ringing career, but 2012 will be even bigger, better and brighter for ringing and nest recording. 129 birds in 72 days with traps -bring on 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment